Thursday, April 5, 2012

Actron CP9125 PocketScan Does what it should

Actron CP9125 PocketScan Does what it should.
This reader worked for me as advertized. In less than 20 seconds it gave me the three error codes. Now I know that my O2 sensor is up for replacement. I am planning replace it myself which should save me hundrends of $$$ vs the dealership.
I like that no battery is required to power the reader (unlike those more expensive readers).

Some minor issues I had:
The buttons on this unit are not very well designed. Read and Erase keys double as Down and Up which works OK, but is not intuitive (there isn't an Up arrow on the right button). What is worse, the buttons get stuck sometimes. The screen is very small and I needed to consult the manual to interpret the abbreviated displayed there.
And "there is lead in the cord" label is ridiculous. Well, at least we were warned :)

Actron CP9125 PocketScan Scanner worth the investment.
I ordered the scanner when I started to get a persistent engine light on my Jeep Grand Cherokee. On receiving the unit promptly after my order, I hooked it up, read the code, bought and installed a new throttle position sensor and the light has been out ever since. This was well worth the investment.

Actron CP9125 PocketScan Code Reader
I recently bought the Actron CP9125 pocketscan code reader to help diagnose some recurring issues with my car, a 2003 VW Passat sedan with a 1.8L 4 cyl engine. I'd had some issues with the engine running rough, check engine light coming on, etc. I bought the reader, read the instructions (which were very simple and straightforward), and plugged it in under the dash. After a brief time with the engine idling roughly, the code reader provided two codes, one indicating I had a problem with the no. 3 cylinder misfiring, and with an oxygen sensor. By switching the plug-in ignition coil on the no. 3 cylinder to the no. 4 cylinder, then checking the reading again and noting it now showed a misfire in the no. 4 cylinder I was able to determine the ignition coil was malfunctioning. I went to my local foreign parts store, bought the coil for $48, and plugged it in...problem solved, no trouble codes anymore. Last time this happened, I didn't have a code reader and took it to a repair shop I'd been using. $357 dollars later I'd gotten my car back with 4 new ignition coils and 4 new spark plugs and wires. Buying the coil myself and plugging it in for $48 was a HUGE improvement, and EASY. Great product, and very valuable for helping you know what's REALLY wrong with your car when you take it in for service!   

No comments:

Post a Comment